Pressure-treated wood is a kind of wood that has been treated with chemicals to give it adequate strength to support heavy objects and structures in construction. Although this wood will also have been treated to protect it from decay and insects, it does not have any protection against weathering. Pressure-treated woods are not waterproofed nor sealed. Therefore, you can have a strong wood doing its job, but immediately moisture begins to find a way into it, it starts to age and spoils. If you will like to protect your wood against moist, and also learn how to properly seal off the wood, read to the end. The best waterproofing for pressure treated wood is the solution for you. We have three types of wood sealers that you can use- however you pick the one you want depending on whether you want the color of the wood retained or not.
- Solid stain : This sealer has more pigment than other kinds of sealers. It is mostly thick and may alter the color of the wood.
- Semi-transparent : This is a wood sealer with little pigment, and it is ideal for deck boards and other areas with intense foot traffic.
- Clear sealant : This wood sealant has no pigment. It gives weathering protection to the wood but does not prevent the wood color from fading.
- Here Are Some Tips for an Effective Waterproofing or Sealing off of Pressure-treated Woods
- Best Waterproofing for Pressure Treated Wood
- 1. Seal Once the Marine Premium Wood Sealer
- 2. Semco Teak Sealer- Waterproofing Wood Sealant Protector
- 3. Lastiseal Concrete Stain & Sealer
- 4. Cabot- Australian Timber Oil
- 5. WOCA Denmark – Environmentally Friendly Exterior Wood Oil
- 6. Rust-Oleum Zinsser 1-Qt. PermaWhite Exterior Satin
- 7. Thompson’s water seal Transparent Waterproofing Stain
- 8. Perdura DECK BOSS Deck Stain Brush Fence Floor Applicator
- 9. DEFY Extreme 1 Gallon Exterior Wood Stain, Crystal Clear
- 10. Thompson’s TH.024105-20 Waterseal Clear Multi-Surface Waterproofer
- 11. Ready Seal Stain and Sealer for Wood
- 12. Pure Tung Oil Finish Wood Stain and Natural Sealer
- 13. Olympic Stain 80110-1 Elite
Here Are Some Tips for an Effective Waterproofing or Sealing off of Pressure-treated Woods
Scrape the Old Layer
Pressure-treated woods are mostly used for fences, decks, and sheds. After use, they are painted or stained. This paint or stain, however, does not last forever and will begin to wear off in no time. Whenever there is peeling off of the old paint or stain, then it’s time for a new one. Do not start to stain such wood without scraping off the old paint or layer of stain. With the aid of a paint scraper and acetone, remove the paint, and sand it down to remove the layer of stain.
Make It Clean
After scraping the old layer, you must ensure the surface is completely clean. Cleaning helps to remove debris and dirt as well as a stain that may be left from the previous scraping exercise. Using water and soap is good but we will recommend you always use a pressure washer.
Allow to Dry
The cleaning process leaves water on the wood. Therefore, you must allow your wood dry out before setting out to seal it as most sealants do no work well on moist wood. You can place the wood outside to dry with the ray of sun or use a hairdryer set on high- placed close to the wood. Note that you do not need to leave the wood for some days to weather. You can go ahead with the sealing if you are sure the wood is dried enough.
Apply the Sealant
While sealing a pressure-treated wood, ensure you seal off the whole part as you can easily leave some part untouched. Seal off the front, edges, ends, and back of the wood. This is also essential for decks and fences.
Best Waterproofing for Pressure Treated Wood
With this in mind, let us go through some tools, or better still, waterproofing materials for pressure-treated wood. Here are some of the waterproofing materials we have reviewed, and have concluded that it is good for any waterproofing need.
1. Seal Once the Marine Premium Wood Sealer
The marine wood sealer protects against water, mold, and decay. The sealant is water-based; has low VOC; and it is safe for people, pets, and plants. Equipped with superior nanotechnology, it penetrates deep into the wood- coating the wood fiber at the cellular level. It performs like an oil-based sealer without any harmful chemicals or side effects. With the marine premium sealer, you can create a flexible, breathable barrier that enhances, stabilizes, and protects the wood. This exclusive sealer is made for use on wood in high-moisture environments like lakes, rivers, ponds, and oceans.
- Provide long-lasting protection against water damage and decay
- It aids the life of the wood
- Preserves wood color
- Has lesser coverage for an old wood
2. Semco Teak Sealer- Waterproofing Wood Sealant Protector
The Semco sealant protector is an environmentally friendly teak finish; it contains pigments and UV inhibitors moisture protection. With just one gallon, you can cover about 200 sqft for the first coat or 400 sqft for the second coat. It is a great water repellant and does not make the surface slippery. The Semco teak treatment is known for its outstanding durability and long-lasting performance. It relieves the stress of constant teak maintenance.
- It preserves the color of the wood
- It’s easy to apply
- It soaks deep into the wood
- Works well only on a top-grade teak wood
3. Lastiseal Concrete Stain & Sealer
Lastiseal is a deep-penetrating concrete sealer, backed with a 15-year waterproofing warranty. The features of this product include UV resistant, 2-in-1 seal and stain, it strengthens, it is waterproof, it does not cause slipping on the surface, it has low odor, and it is acid-free. It has an attractive variegated look- like acid staining, but with more colors and no acids. It is ideal for driveways, patios, pool decks, sidewalks, malls, lobbies, and retaining walls. You can easily apply it with a pump-up garden sprayer. For a long-lasting effect use on a porous surface.
- Helps to beautify outdoor concrete and stain indoor concrete floors.
- It can work well in a high traffic area
- No necessary need for a second coating
- Does not work well on a tight surface like a polished concrete
4. Cabot- Australian Timber Oil
It is a proven translucent oil treatment for mahogany, teak, and other premium exotic wood surfaces used for deck and outdoor furniture. Cabot timber oil penetrates deep into the dense resin wood to accentuate natural wood depth. It is equipped with complex translucent iron oxide pigments to ensure a lasting UV-absorbing surface. You can be sure this oil dries completely after use- it does not mess up the surface of the wood.
- It’s an easy-to-use wood preparation product
- It has a long-lasting effect on wood, decks, and fences.
- It’s a durable topcoat for indoor furniture
- Becomes too thick for reuse if not properly stored
5. WOCA Denmark – Environmentally Friendly Exterior Wood Oil
WOCA wood oil seals the wood from the inside out while creating a waterproof finish without the buildup of film, r risk of peeling. It has a composition of premium plant-based oil components which makes the product water-dilatable, low VOC, and environmentally friendly. With the WOCA oil, your wood surface becomes resistant to hard-wearing, mold, fungus, and mildew. It protects against water and UV rays, allowing your deck, fence, patio, or furniture to stand strong for years. Ideal for wood like mahogany, teak, pine, cedar, cypress, and other types of exotic and domestic wood.
- Gives a great finish without all the harsh chemicals
- It is a great solution for exotic and domestic woods
- It dries fast
- For exterior use only
6. Rust-Oleum Zinsser 1-Qt. PermaWhite Exterior Satin
Painting can be one of the processes to waterproof your wood. The perma-white is a mold and mildew-proof exterior paint that resist color fading, dirt, and moisture. you can easily maintain the paint with soap and water. It is a great choice for a home where the growth of mold and mildew is a concern. You do not require sanding to apply this product.
- 5 years guarantee
- Great value at affordable price
- It is a great choice for outdoor furniture
- The product is clear
7. Thompson’s water seal Transparent Waterproofing Stain
Thompson’s water seal solution is great at preventing water damage to wood. It is equipped with advanced polymers that provide fade-resistant color. Its coating also helps to remove mildew and UV damage. This product can be applied to both dry wood and freshly cleaned damp. The Thompson Company has earned a good reputation as identifying industry trends and techs. This formula that has been developed by the company protects buildings from exterior water damage. It is commonly used by firms that deal with architecture and construction.
- Used by many professionals
- Can be used to prolong the wear of a latex stain
- Manufacturer’s reputation
- Too thick to be used in a pump sprayer
8. Perdura DECK BOSS Deck Stain Brush Fence Floor Applicator
Staining or sealing a wood requires the use of a good brush for a sealer that can be applied with a brush. You can get this brush as part of your kit to waterproofing your wood. It is a great aid to apply paints, sealers, and stains to rough or smooth surfaces. In the hand of a professional Stainer, this tool will save lots of time while providing a higher level of finish. It can also be used for DIY at home and offices. It is one of the best tools in the market ever used by professionals and DIYs- it is completely risk-free.
- Quality assured
- Makes a great gift
- There is a need to purchase an additional accessory
9. DEFY Extreme 1 Gallon Exterior Wood Stain, Crystal Clear
Defy crystal clear solution to prevent graying caused by sunray, and does not affect the color of the wood. It is great for staining/waterproofing fences, wood, siding, playset, and a lot more. This product has zinc nanoparticles that block damaging UV rays which also deters mold and mildew growth. With Defy, you can expect a premium finish with a natural look on your wood. Its result lasts longer than that of its competitors- it can go for up to a season or two before wearing off.
- Easy to maintain
- Maintain the color of the wood
- Comes in various beautiful color
- Requires frequent maintenance
10. Thompson’s TH.024105-20 Waterseal Clear Multi-Surface Waterproofer
Just as the name- it can be used for many surfaces; for decks, fences, concrete driveways, patios, and other exterior surfaces. It prevents water damage to the wood and allows the wood to gray naturally. The Thompson waterproofer has been used over time in construction and architectural firms. You can choose from its variety of waterproofing stain color for your exterior wood project; acorn brown, harvest gold, maple brown, sequoia red, and woodland cedar.
- Satisfaction is guaranteed
- Exceptionally long-lasting
- Can be used to protect anything made of wood
- Apply only with a brush
11. Ready Seal Stain and Sealer for Wood
It requires no primer. It remains dark when first applied, but reaches its true color in two weeks. It’s recommended not to apply ready seal on a painted or newly stained surfaces. The newly stained surface will prevent the penetration of the ready seal. The ready seal requires no wet-line application; it blends itself and can be applied in any temperature range.
- It can be applied using a brush, sprayer, or roller.
- Requires no diluting before spray application
- Meets VOC level requirements
- Takes a while to dry
12. Pure Tung Oil Finish Wood Stain and Natural Sealer
The oil helps to finish off the waterproofing process. It is used to get a warm and rich finish for the wood. Pure Tung oil has no additives, solvents, or varnishes. It makes the wood resistant to water, acid, and oil. Pure Tung oil dries fast, compared to other oil for finishing surfaces.
- It works well on any surface
- Keeps alcohol, grease, and moist from ruining the wood
- Can be used on indoor furniture
- Takes a while to dry
13. Olympic Stain 80110-1 Elite
It’s good, saving the best for the last. Olympic elite oil stain has been one of America’s most trusted wood protector since 1938. This oil enhances the beauty of the wood. With just one coat, you can protect your wood from water and other moisture damage. Just to mention a few of its wonders, the Olympic elite is Urethane fortified, it resists scratching and peeling, it has a strong algae resistant coating.
- Long-life guarantee
- Has gain customers trust
- Preserve the color of the wood
- Made for exterior use only
Note that the products above are not just staining or waterproofing products in itself, and that is why you have the oil and the brush. They are all to form a complete kit for waterproofing a pressure-treated wood. Now you have about thirteen products that you can use or combine to get the best of any waterproofing and staining process. And I believe with the information provided about the process of waterproofing your treated wood- you now know the nitty-gritty of having a great waterproofing experience. Check out any of the products above, and you sure will like what the result will be.