The average homeowners think about waterproofing their basement as repair work. This is when the basement has been exposed to too much moisture that it physically begins to fall apart. The underground location of your basement opens it up to different attacks that leave it weak. Sometimes it may lead to the formation of mildew and mild that would eventually weaken the concrete and reduce the overall quality. Basement waterproofing sealer can be the solution for you.
- Importance Of Waterproofing Your Basement
- Best Basement Waterproofing Sealer
- 1. Xfasten Fiberglass Waterproofing Fabric Tape
- 2. DIY Leaky Basement Wall Crack Repair Kit
- 3. Armor SX5000 WB DOT Approved Concrete Sealer
- 4. Liquid Rubber Waterproof Sealant
- 5. Randonseal Plus Deep-Penetrating Concrete Sealer
- 6. Lastiseal Brick And Masonry Sealer
- 7. Randonseal Concrete Foundation Crack Repair Kit
- 8. KILZ L390201 Interior/Exterior Liquid Masonry Sealer
- 9. S2000 Basement Wall And Floor Sealer
- 10. Ames Blue Max Liquid Rubber
- 11. Siloxa-Tek 8500 Concrete Sealer
- 12. Hydro-Seal 75 Waterproofing Epoxy
- 13. Xypex Concentrate
Importance Of Waterproofing Your Basement
- Cost: The most obvious importance of waterproofing your basement is that it allows you to save up on the cost of unnecessary renovations and additional repair works. It is fairly easy to dab new paint over the affected area, however, waterproofing a concrete involves the systematic enhancement of the important components of your house. What happens when moisture penetrates the concrete in the basement is that the temperature drops and it freezes the pores in the material. It then increases in size until it forms a pressure on the concrete. This goes on for a while, and with the help of temperature fluctuations, the concrete begins to show visible signs of weakness, cracks, and instability. Correcting this defect when it happens is usually expensive.
- Effectiveness: A badly done basement hydro insulation often results in moisture penetration. It could also lead the moisture spreading along with the structural components of the basement. The movement of the moisture may result in other problems like weakened paints, efflorescence, and so much more. Since waterproof sealers perform the same job that handymen would perform at a cheaper price, it offers an effective solution to your problems.
The Best Indoor Waterproofing Sealer?
A good basement floor sealer will enrich and preserve the appearance of your basement, prevent moisture, prolong the life of the basement, and prevent a moisture problem. When working indoor, the safest sealer to use is the water-based sealer. This is because they do not contain toxic chemicals or harmful fumes from VOCs. As a result, you can work without needing a special breathing apparatus.
Sealers And Basement Appearance
The question of whether your choice of basement sealer would change the appearance of your basement floor depends on the type of sealer that you use. Bear in mind that the ultimate function of a sealer is to protect your basement from moisture. Some, however, are designed to enhance the gloss or color of the concrete. For homeowners that do not want their basement to change appearance, we recommend that you purchase a clear basement waterproofing sealer. This type of sealer penetrates deep into the concrete beyond the surface and will not change its appearance. If you have no problem with your sealer adding a bit of color or gloss to your floor, then you can purchase the colored basement sealer or glossed basement sealer.
Best Basement Waterproofing Sealer
The best basement waterproofing sealer should not be confused with “the perfect basement waterproofing sealer”. Each product was reviewed for its strengths and weakness so that you can make the best choice. While they all have their pros and cons, the final decision to choose rests with you.
1. Xfasten Fiberglass Waterproofing Fabric Tape
The XFasten fiberglass waterproofing fabric tape comes with a waterproofing membrane mesh that can provide up to 40years of extreme waterproofing effect. Not just this, the tape also prevents other sources of moisture from penetrating your walls and flooring. The product forms a water barrier at an optimal thickness and prevents fracturing even when it is bent at extreme angles. As a result, homeowners with little experience can use the tap with little difficulty. Although the tape is extremely durable, it is flexible making it very easy to cut and install. As a plus, the fabric is compatible with all common waterproofing polymers making it very versatile.
- Compatible with common waterproofing polymer
- Easy to install and manage
- Comes with a large roll
- Does not fold
2. DIY Leaky Basement Wall Crack Repair Kit
DIY leaky basement wall crack repair kit for homeowners is a user-friendly foundation crack repair for homeowners that want to handle their basement repair on their own. Effective against leaking basement wall cracks, the repair provides a permanent repair solution for preventing water from entering into these cracks. It features low viscosity polyurethane for direct injection into cracks. Homeowners can inject from inside foundation wall through a standard chalk gun as it requires no drilling into the concrete.
- Requires no drilling
- Low-pressure concrete crack repair
- You need to expose the entire surface of the crack to seal it.
3. Armor SX5000 WB DOT Approved Concrete Sealer
Armor SX5000 WB DOT approved concrete sealer features a water-based breathable, high-solids silane siloxane sealer that can be used on your basement floor and walls. Certified and approved by the DOT, the sealer acts as a water-repellant and can carry on this task for up to 10years. One gallon of the sealer can cover up to 100 FT2 in two coats. It ultimately reduces damages caused by environmental exposure.
- Breathable sealer
- Works below the surface
- Approved by DOT as a water-repellant sealer
- The surface must be completely dry before application
4. Liquid Rubber Waterproof Sealant
Designed as an environmentally friendly sealant, the Liquid rubber waterproof sealant contains no solvent, harmful odor, or VOC. As a result, it can be used with no special breathing apparatus without fear of contamination. The design of the sealant imitates the simple design of a paint that takes little work to apply and finish. With a brush or a roller, you can apply the sealant and close the container to use the leftover material some other time. The product can be used for roofs, foundations, concrete, and basements.
- Easy Application
- Limited instruction on the can
5. Randonseal Plus Deep-Penetrating Concrete Sealer
The RandonSeal plus deep-penetrating concrete sealer seals the concrete against basement moisture by penetrating up to 4-inches and internally sealing the concrete, it blocks the micro-pores and capillaries to prevent water vapor, water spillage, radon gas, and efflorescence directly through the basement floor or walls. The sealer hardens and strengthens the concrete to protect and reduce dusting and crazing. Also, the product is breathable and does not trap moisture. It is also eco-friendly and has zero VOCs.
- Hardens and strengthens the concrete
- Internally seals the matrix of concrete
- It is thin
6. Lastiseal Brick And Masonry Sealer
It is not every day that a homeowner gets to see an all-purpose sealer. The LastiSeal brick and masonry sealer, unlike many other sealers, is an all-purpose sealer for bonding and strengthening your concrete walls, brick, wood, basement, and other masonry. The product promises a 15-year waterproofing warranty. The sealer is water-based, therefore, it is non-toxic, non-flammable, and does not have any odor. For easy application, you can use either a spray, brush, or roll. Some best waterproof sealer for wood is a suggest for you.
- 15-year waterproofing warranty
- All-purpose application
7. Randonseal Concrete Foundation Crack Repair Kit
Another excellent product of RandonSeal, the RandonSEAL concrete foundation crack repair kit features a low-pressure injection method that eliminates the need for drilling holes in your basement walls and floors. It comes with 2-component, has low viscosity, and an injection urethane for repairing hairline cracks. Since there is no need to drill holes before use, the repair kit allows you to save on money that would otherwise be spent on excavation. It also does not require any special tool and offers a permanent solution for preventing water seepage, soil gases, and water vapor. It’s basement waterproofing sealer.
- No special tools required
- No need to excavate
- Saves the cost of excavation
- Takes lots of instruction to get right
8. KILZ L390201 Interior/Exterior Liquid Masonry Sealer
Designed by a brand that won the paint brand of the year in 2015 in the Harris Poll EquipTrend Rankings, the KILZ L390201 interior/exterior liquid masonry sealer protects and beautifies your concrete and other masonry surfaces, while protecting and maintaining the details and color without changing color. The product is a high-solid, non-yellowing acrylic-based formula that enhances the surface of your basement with a wet-look, high-gloss finish. You can use it with a roller, brush, high-quality pump sprayer, or a high-quality pad applicator. One gallon of the sealer covers 250-400 square feet per gallon depending on the texture of the surface.
- Quality brand
- Non-yellowish coating
- Protect and beautifies concrete brick
- Cannot be used in high moisture areas
9. S2000 Basement Wall And Floor Sealer
The S2000 basement wall and floor sealer is a penetrating sealant that works 100% below the surface of your basement to protect it from moisture. By working below the surface, it doesn’t change the look of your basement but keeps it in good shape. The product works through densification to reduce the movement of water through pores. It also creates calcium silicate hydrate within the pores to make the concrete break down. To use, dilute 1 gallon of the sealer with 3 gallons of warm water to cover up to 1000 FT 2 per coat.
- Creates calcium silicate hydrate within the pores
- Uses densification to reduce movement of water
- Free of noxious fumes
- Cannot work over a painted concrete
10. Ames Blue Max Liquid Rubber
Ames blue max liquid rubber features rubber technology for basement waterproofing sealer . The sealant is high in solids and dries to a touch 800% elastic membrane that fights cracks and peels. The product combines a blend of high strength elastomeric liquid rubber and adhesive to provide a flexible durable rubber for sealing leaks. The rubber is UV sensitive, therefore, must be top coated if exposed to sunlight. The product strengthens construction and glues the surfaces together. It works as a primer and waterproofing membrane for Ame’s products.
- High-strength elastomeric liquid rubber
- Highly adhesive
- Basement interior and exterior waterproofing
- The smell is quite overpowering while painting
11. Siloxa-Tek 8500 Concrete Sealer
Reduce water ingression and moisture intrusion with the Siloxa-Tek 8500 concrete sealer. The sealer comes as an industrial-grade, water-based siloxane/silane engineered to reduce moisture intrusion while protecting your basement from chloride damage, cracking, mold, and mildew. Powered by nanotechnology, the product features hydrophobic agents to provide a deeper penetration adding an extra layer of protection. Once applied, the change in the surface tension creates a surface environment that is hydrophobic forming as an effective shield for the reduction of water absorption. It’s basement waterproofing sealer.
- Nanotechnology driven
- No mixing required
- You may experience difficulty with a roller
12. Hydro-Seal 75 Waterproofing Epoxy
Take care of blisters, flakes, and peels with the Hydro-Seal 75 waterproofing epoxy. Formulated with an epoxy resin formula, the product offers excellent thaw durability, high chemical resistance, and superior adhesion. To encourage breathability, the sealer blocks out the elements and allows the residue water vapor to escape. The product is a safe, solvent-free material that can be applied using a brush, airless spray gun, or roller. It penetrates the pores of the surface and cures it to form a permanent reliable layer protective layer that water cannot bridge.
- Resist hydrostatic pressure
- Safe and easy to apply
- Will be sticky when it dries if you don’t mix carefully
13. Xypex Concentrate
The Xypex concentrate doesn’t look to be much, however, it does well to resist extreme hydrostatic pressure. By turning itself into an integral part of the substrate, the concentrate can seal hairline cracks up to 0.4mm. It is also highly resistant to aggressive chemicals and allows the concrete to breathe. A product of the Xypex Crystalline waterproofing system, the Xypex concentrate is the most chemically active product within the system. You can apply as a slurry coat to below-grade or above-grade concrete, either as a single coat or as the first of a two-coat application.
- Allows concrete to breathe
- Resist extreme hydrostatic pressure
- Highly resistant to aggressive chemical
- You cannot use the product if you have cracks repaired with epoxy
Basement sealing is a task that can be completed in a day. For sealers that require more than one coat, you might have to wait for a while before applying the other coats. Although some coats can be applied on wet surfaces without downtime. The best way to get the maximum result from your sealer is to go through the instruction before using it. Hope basement waterproofing sealer are helpful to you.